Search This Blog

Saturday, May 18, 2019

What happens if your gut derails

As I mentioned, this blog will jump around some. Some makes more sense now.

A first line pain medicine that was dirt cheap was used in me.  Indomethacin.  This tore up my stomach, causing acid reflux, more pain, and the Doctor to prescribe Omeprazole.
I was in name brand Omeprazole for years, due to insurance. The pharmacists would go out to the shelf, and grab a couple packages, and put my prescription on it.

I was taken off  Indomethacin, but the damage was done. Never had heartburn, or Acid reflux my whole life until this Indomethacin was introduced.  Now I wonder how this drug effected my gut or small intestines. May never know, but thinking back of why I was out on Omeprazole.

Eight years later, I still use Omeprazole. This may be due to damage, never restored to a normal gut, age, or many of the other meds added over the eight year course that also may cause damage.

All is not MS, so I had to find out stomach issues I was having, that may or may not be MS.

I had a upper and lower colonoscopy/endoscopy two years ago, ranitidine was added. A new one that helped.  However, I was led to believe I also had Ulcerative colitis for the next two years by the Doctor.  I was out completely under for This procedure.


Ulcerative Colitis is one listed with Rare Diseases. A high dose of a probiotic, known as DSL#3ds is supposed to help. The cost was more than I could afford. Nord (National Organizations of Rare Diseases) has a patient assist program, so I applied, and was on Nords list to receive two boxes a month surfing the next few years, taking a massive amount of probiotics.

A Trial of this VSL#3, was also ongoing at UC Davis, San Francisco. So I was following that study, but knowing I received the real VSL#3 probiotic. That study ended, with mixed results, as perhaps not all the right probiotics were in VSL#3, for Multiple Sclerosis.


VSL#3 contains only eight strains, and has to be refrigerated. I have a lot of now empty cooler boxes and Ice packs, if anybody knows what to do with them.

Ubiome.com, a start up company out of San Francisco was contacted, as a Gut study of microbes was going on. I fell into being part of this ongoing study to this date.  Their reports changed over time, but would tell me microbes in Gut. Yes a small sample of feces in cotton swab into a glass vial was sent to them. Many probiotics were missing, or being crowded out by VSL#3.  At one point, I had No microbes of any probiotics in me. Weird, but knew a turn in my health took place at same time.

  Extra Gas from probiotics and pre biotic foods, such as flax meal, prunes, seeds, nuts, and other things were effecting my gut.  But that's for another blog with a new GI Doctor that undiagnosed, along with my GO Dr, ulcerative Colitis. Never had it. GI issues, yes, but not UC. I was relieved, but now what was needed.

Chronic constipation. Trulance was tried. Linzess was next with Miralax, known as polyethylene Glycol. Not on that later.

Guess this is more about the digestive system, being complicated. Finding out what runs in my family tree, and a lot more information learned in eight years looking back at why I am still in omeprazole.

A link.    Listen to your Gut
https://www.purityproducts.com/blog/listen-to-your-gut-is-your-digestive-system-the-gateway-to-better-health
I found interesting.


I found this written by Dr Orrange posted in goodrx.com

"Dr. Orrange is an Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine in the Division of Geriatric, Hospitalist and General Internal Medicine at the Keck School of Medicine of USC.

Posted on March 22, 2019

Omeprazole (Prilosec) is a cheap, generic medication available both over the counter or with a prescription. It belongs to a class of medications known as proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs), and is one of the most popular medications in the U.S. It’s used to treat heartburn, reflux disease (GERD), and ulcers. Many people also use omeprazole to protect the stomach when taking NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).

Even if you’ve been taking omeprazole for a while, here are five things you may want to be aware of.

1) Disruption of gut bacteria

Studies have shown that people treated with omeprazole have different types of bacteria in their gut compared to untreated patients. Specifically, people taking omeprazole have higher counts of “bad” bacteria like Enterococcus, Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, and some strains of E. coli. Why this matters is not fully known. But, the bacteria in our guts play an important role in our defense against pathogens, so disrupting the gut flora may be a downside of omeprazole. It might be why people taking omeprazole have a higher risk of getting C. diff diarrhea.

2) Omeprazole vs. other GERD drugs

Is omeprazole the best medication for stomach issues? Well, studies show omeprazole works better than rabeprazole (Aciphex) for a variety of stomach issues, but it does not work as well as esomeprazole (Nexium) for GERD.

3) Omeprazole and heart attacks

A study published in August 2016 found that taking PPIs like omeprazole could be a risk factor for heart-related complications. How severely omeprazole impacts heart health has not been fully explored, but in this study, long-term use of PPIs was associated with a 70% increased risk of cardiovascular issues—and risk increased with longer use.

4) Omeprazole vs. acupuncture

In a study from 2016, acupuncture was found to work better than omeprazole for GERD. The researchers compared GERD symptoms in patients taking omeprazole versus those undergoing acupuncture treatments over 8 weeks. After the study, both groups’ symptoms improved, but acupuncture was significantly superior to omeprazole. Worth a try!

5) Omeprazole “as needed”

Unfortunately, omeprazole doesn’t work on an “as needed” basis. PPIs like omeprazole take five days to reach maximal effect. So, taking it on an “as needed” basis will not provide enough acid suppression and symptom relief. However, some histamine-2 antagonists, like cimetidine (Tagamet) and ranitidine (Zantac) are better for that. "Dr

Look at my post Turmeric or Curcumin, as links says it will help


Thank you for reading
JoeY



1 comment:

  1. Hello, an amazing Information dude. Thanks for sharing this nice information with us. Vitamin D 3000iu 120 tablet

    ReplyDelete