Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Alaska adventure with MS



My mom lives in Alaska. I am fortunate to have Wils Mom as a "mom" also, and my mom like a mom to Wil.  I had not seen her in ten years, since she was married, and swept back to my hometown of Juneau.  I was going to just show up and surpise!!! But my Marion mom told me part of the fun is the expectation.
I had left hints, that we were going to Sitka, and staying in the old Military Hospital.
-Sitka_International_Hostel


 This was turned into a youth hostel, many years before.  But she assumed it was for MS, getting worried it was a ms hospital until I told her.

Traveling with MS, something new. Does medicine need ice? Or cool enough, as it was the end of tourist season in Alaska. A bag bigger than my day pack was used to just carry medicines.  I failed the stand in TSA machine, as spasticity was moving my muscles. I had to show and open some liquid medicine, and have a pat down.

We  wore masks on the plane to keep viruses away from us. You get some interesting looks.think one guy thought we had the plague, while another just asked.. A transfer was made in Seattle, then landing in Sitka, which was home for a few days. Sitka, a expensive place to live, but a town untouched by the huge tourist ships. The huge hotel is owned by the cruise ships though. There is a brewery there, a bus ride driven by a 92 year old, with locals telling him where to turn will get you to their location.  --------------------------------------------

Baranof island brewing Has some of the best beers I have tasted. The Hotel has some on tap, as we dried off from the rain storm and had dinner. The day we arrived. The walk across the scenic bridge was amazing to get to town. it even rained on us, to get us soaked. But the view in the rain, could not pass up. The hostel made a excellent building with history. The Fresh halibut is a wow factor to eat.

Everything was close by, and food was exceptional.  Some places were already closed, as Just because we were a few days past The tourist  season. Two days in Sitka was not long enough.

The next leg was a quick flight to Juneau. It was a packed flight with students on a trip to Fairbanks. Juneau airfield, don't miss it by a foot in landing a plane, or you will be in the ocean.

The cruise ships had stopped, and boarded up most of the town, as they move their employees and merchandise to the Caribbean. This part of town has changed since playing as a kid.  the state ferry dock used to be right down town, not right miles from town with no transportation to or from it.  The Baronof Hotel was now owned by the cruise ships, and the old paintings that made it Grand were gone. A whole section made for many cruise ships to dock, and walk a new boardwalk, a library with a seven story parking garage would be small compared to a ship next to it.

New stores, a Tram to go to the top of the Mountains, even though wooden stairs are still down the street.


 Think Wil and I spent a week at my mom, Judy, and her husband Wayne. My Aunt and her husband Don were in town from Haines. He was full of stories.. Juneau is a place to see, but not quickly on a cruise line tour. you just won't see everything , as just A few hours, as rushed by a cruise time frame.

The glacier I slid on as a kid had receded a mile, and I was not up to a hike to it, but enjoyeenjoyedd it,  and a paved road to it.

Their was a freeway!! , dirt roads paved,  The chicken park still there I played at, a new bridge across to Douglass island.  Saw my cousin, but not long enough.


 Fatigue had hold of me, so seeing places  was tiring me out extremely. Meds were my only choice, as could not bring other concoctions. Staying awake, even with modafinil was hard, but enjoying the sights, scenery, still could not be done in a week. Spasticity and MS symptoms all there.

. My mom's church invited us to a salmon lunch. A few people there, but only side dishes were on The table. The Elders were out fishing to bring the salmon fresh to the grill. Best ever!  Freshest!I
And so many leftovers for everyone.

Think our dogs missed us, as a ten day trip, watched by Marion, my other Mom.  This amazing race took place in the end of 2015

Thanks for reading
JoeY


No comments:

Post a Comment